Sunday, October 5, 2008

Apples, apples, everywhere

For some reason I thought it was a good idea to buy a "tote bag" of apples last week. I eat one apple a day, max. And Nic is pretty uninterested in apples. Days later I still had a big bowl of apples, a festive center piece, but not going anywhere fast. It was already way too late to make apple pie. (I say that like I would have made a pie if it was earlier. I wouldn't.) But apple sauce, now that I can handle. It must be the easiest thing to make ever. And with apple season in full swing, at least here on the East coast, this is the perfect way to use up extra apples when you're tired of making your pies.


First you peel, core and dice the apples. For this batch I used 6 apples, but that doesn't make very much. Maybe 3-4 servings. So you should double or triple the recipe if you want a lot. (P.S. Taking pictures of hands is not easy! That or I have really un-photogenic hands.)

Then you put the apples in a sauce pan with 1/4 cup apple cider, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Simmer for 20 minutes covered. Mash the apples for a chunky sauce or throw them in the food processor for something smoother.

And you're done!

No comments: