Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sabah il Kheer! Arabic Oatmeal


I don't usually make breakfast, especially during the week, but I was reading through a Middle Eastern cookbook my friend Amy gave me as an apartment-warming gift a couple of weeks ago, and I was intrigued by a sentence. "You can even serve couscous sweet."

So since I have Arabic class tonight, and the recipe I was going to post last night turned out to need more "perfecting," I decided to whip up some breakfast couscous this morning. It turned out delicious! The honey and white raisins give it great flavor and texture. If you like oatmeal or other warm cereal, this is a great substitute.

*As a disclaimer: I never once saw this served when I was living/traveling in the Middle East, but I also never went to Morocco, which is famous for its couscous.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup whole wheat couscous
1/3 cup+ milk
vanilla
honey
cinnamon
white raisins (optional)

Directions:
Couscous is usually cooked by boiling water and then adding the couscous, removing from the heat, and letting it sit covered for 5 minutes. So I just substituted skim milk for the water. Usually you do equal parts water to couscous. Do a little bit more milk than couscous so it will be more moist, like oatmeal (hence the + in ingredients above). Once the milk is just starting to bubble, add a few drops of vanilla, remove from the heat, add the couscous, and cover it all up. When the couscous is done, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon, and throw on some raisins.